In this post i will tell you about how you can make your pendrive/USB drive bootable so that you can install your windows operating system from the pendrive instead of using dvd for it. I am going to use command prompt (cmd) for it so you do not require to download or install any extra software to your computer.
For this method you require a pendrive having a size 4GB or more. You also require the windows image file or the DVD containing the windows you want to install. If you are using a image file then you also require a software to mount the image in a drive like Alcohol, Daemon tools, Virtual Drive etc. When you are ready with all these things then you can proceed with the method.
- Firstly click on start and type cmd and then right click on cmd.exe and run as administrator. Click on yes (if asked due to UAC control).
- Now command prompt will open. Here type the following commands:
LIST DISK- When you type the above command, cmd will show all the disks present on your computer with their disk number. You have to choose your pendrive from the list.
For example: In our case it is disk 1
SELECT DISK 1
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
SELECT PARTITION 1
FORMAT FS=NTFS quick- Now formatting will take some time so wait for the process to complete. After the process gets completed type the following commands:
- Now insert your windows installation DVD or mount it's image file using any of the software already mentioned.
Optional : Now note down the drive letter of your DVD drive (containing windows installation files) and USB drive.
For example: Your DVD drive is J and your USB drive is L.
Now in command prompt type:
J: CD BOOT
BOOTSECT.EXE /NT60 L:
- Now go to the DVD drive and copy all the files to your USB drive and you are ready to install windows from your pendrive.
- This method will not work with windows XP.
- Do not forget to replace DISK 1 with your own disk number in the command.
- Do not forget to change the drive letter of the respective drives in the command.
- If NTFS does not work then you can try FAT32 in it's place as well.
- Do not forget to backup your pendrive as it will be formatted during the process.
If you found any problem then feel free to ask here.